January 30, 2012

Australia Day's yellow and green BBQ

Australia Day is always a nice excuse to have a day off work and spend time with family and friends. Just like Australia Day last year (that I blogged about HERE) we had a BBQ at our place so I took the opportunity to play around with decorations.
The BBQ wasn't decided on until the last minute so once again I went to my 'Party Cupboard' to see what I could pull together. I wanted to be a little different to last years red, blue and white theme so went with the Aussie green and gold.


A yellow table cloth thrown over two tables to make one big square table was easy enough. I was then trying to think of a 'centre piece' while hanging some clothes on my line when I spotted some yellow flowers (I don't even know what kind they are) growing in our garden. So a few of those and some greenery went in glass jars that had yellow fabric tied around them and the middle of the table was looking complete.


I went through my spare flag stash and pulled out any that were green or yellow and ended up with quite a decent amount of bunting to hang above the table alongside some green and yellow paper lanterns I had shoved in my cupboard.



Hanging from the lanterns I had green and yellow ribbons then a handful of Australia slang words that were based around eating were made from old magazine letters onto cardboard gift tags. Words like Tucker, Grub, Barbie & Coldie were used and added a bit of conversation fun.


With a lunch menu of lamb leg, sausages, corn cobs, roast potatoes, salad and of course pavlova mixed with a splash in the kiddie pool, listening to Triple J's Hottest 100 and quality time spent with family the day was just lovely!


What did you get up to?
Giggles

No comments: