March 8, 2009

Weekly Featured Artist -Kylie of Tiges and Weince

It's been a while since Giggleberry's last Weekly Featured Artist and even a little while since I've posted at all... but now that our new bub Harrison has started to settle into a routine I have come up for some blogging air and who better to feature than a fellow Aussie Etsian, Kylie of Tiges and Weince who makes and sells "all things baby".
I love the bright and fun items Kylie has on offer like her matching gift sets for bubbies and her funky change mats, bibs and nappy compacts. Check out her shop at www.tigesandweince.etsy.com.


Tell us all about yourself and your craft?
My name is Kylie, I am 33, live in Melbourne Australia, married to my wonderful husband Daniel, and the mother of my angel (well 99% of the time) Hudson who is nearly 10months. I have an extensive back ground in fashion design in both ladies and children's wear, but my passion has always been in children's arena. I am inspired by bright colour, clean design, and anything that makes me smile. Design, sewing and pattern making is what I know how to do well so to venture in making my own baby accessories and other odds and ends felt very natural.

How long have you been creating your craft?
For about 12 months, and the last 3 months I have decided to put all my energy in and take growing this business very seriously.


What is one of the biggest lesson you have learnt about your craft & selling it?
MMMMMMMM this is tricky to answer. Well I have learnt that I have to be to some degree a little unemotional about what I design and make, while I learn what the consumer wants. This is the hardest thing I believe an artist has to accept, not everybody loves what you love. In regards to selling it, well that's a journey I am still on, ask me again in 12 months.

Which of your items did you have the most fun creating & why?
I have always loved my 'Baby To Go' boxes as I couldn't think of a better gift all packed away in a noodle box. Recently I have loved making my nappy compacts as they are just perfect when you have a quick errand to do and don't need a whole nappy bag. I made this for myself before I decided to sell them, as I found them very handy.


Is there a basic 'household' item you use when creating that seems to work just as good if not better than the actual 'tool'?
I use my dining table as a cutting table. It's a great size and height.

What is your favourite candy bar & why?
Asking me for a favourite is a challenge when you are speaking to a chocoholic. I can't narrow it down so I will have to say BIG Kit Kat with Caramel, Boost Bar, and Bounty. However when I was in Canada I fell in love with this bar called "OH HENRY", it's a shame we can't get them in OZ.


If money, responsibilities, and time were no issues where in the great wide world would you go & why?
I have traveled quite a lot so it's hard to pick like the candy bar, but I am still and always will be in love with the beauty of Paris. The language, fashion, architecture, art, Louvre, red wine and of course Nutella Crepes. I love how the streets wind around and nothing is grid like so you always find something new.

Thanks Kylie for spending some time to share a bit with us!! You can keep up to date with all the new and fun things Tiges and Weince is up to through the blog at www.tigesandweince.blogspot.com

No comments: